SHARE

The parents of a 16-year-old girl were beyond concerned as they watched their daughter begin to vomit uncontrollably over the span of a few weeks. However, it wasn’t until they noticed that the girl had significantly dropped weight to the point of almost starving to death that they brought her to the hospital get help – and even doctors were left shocked to see what was inside of the emaciated teen.

When Aakansha Kumari started to complain of abdominal pain, her parents began to realize that something was wrong. However, just thinking it was a stomach bug, the Indian parents decided to just wait it out and hoped the illness would resolve itself. Unfortunately, things would only get worse as the two were left horrified to see their daughter begin to vomit uncontrollably over what ended up being the span of a few weeks. Coincidentally, it seems that her vomiting spells always began just after eating something.

As a result, Kumari’s weight began to drop significantly to the point that she began to look severely emaciated. Even more shocking was the fact that the suffering teen’s weight dropped to just over “two stone” (28 pounds) before her parents took her for medical attention.

At that point, her father explained that they could see a large mass physically protruding from his daughter’s abdomen causing the biggest reason for concern. Of course, once they were in the hospital, doctors immediately initiated a series of tests, including an X-ray, and even the doctors were shocked to see what was inside the girl as the large bump was revealed to be a giant clump of hair.

Come to find out, the girl had quietly been eating her own hair for quite some time:

“She was diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, a rare condition in which a hairball (called a trichobezar) is found in the stomach, with its tail in the colon.
Named after the Grimms fairy tale character, it is associated with trichotillomania, where sufferers have an irresistible urge to pull out one’s hair, and trichophagia, the compulsive eating of hair. [Source: Mail Online]

As a result, the girl’s stomach and a portion of her intestines were filled with hair, meaning that there was no room for anything else. Of course, that means when she ate any food, she would immediately throw it up, making it impossible for her body to ingest any form of nourishment.

Dr. Abhay Kumar, who removed the hairball in an open surgery at Doon Medical College and Hospital in Dehradun, India, states that the procedure was rather tricky, seeing how the hairball weighed approximately half a pound and had to be removed in its entirety, all at once. “The surgery was challenging because we had to extract the hairball in one go,” she said. “We couldn’t do it piece by piece and risk dropping strands of hair in the body cavity as it would lead to further complications.”

Fortunately, the surgery was successful, and the girl is reportedly doing much better since having the obstruction removed. Hopefully, this girl gets the help she needs, ensuring that she doesn’t end up like this again. What’s more, let’s cross our fingers that these parents learned a hard lesson when it comes to waiting to the last minute – especially when it comes to your kids. These two are very lucky that their daughter didn’t die because of this.