– Police are searching for five or six males suspected of sexually assaulting the 15-year-old during a Facebook Live stream on Sunday
– The teen was found on Tuesday after she went missing from suburban Chicago
– Detectives say about 40 people watched the attack on Facebook while it was happening but no one reported it to police
– Girl’s mother approached police on Monday with screen grabs taken from the video showing the attack
– Family members had contacted the mother to alert her of the Facebook video
A 15-year-old girl who was gang-raped during a Facebook Live video after she went missing from her home has been reunited with her mother.
Chicago Police said the teenager was found on Tuesday and they are now searching for the five or six men or boys suspected of sexually assaulting her.
About 40 people viewed the attack on Facebook while it was happening on Sunday but none of them reported it to police, according to department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.
The girl’s mother, Stacey Elkins, alerted police to the incident on Monday after showing them screen grabs taken from the video.
The 15-year-old girl was reunited with her mother on Tuesday after she went missing and was gang-raped during a Facebook Live stream on Sunday
She said her daughter went out to a store in Chicago’s Lawndale neighborhood on Sunday afternoon but failed to return home.
She later learned her daughter was the subject of the ‘disgusting’ Facebook Live video after family members and friends contacted the mother.
The distraught mother alerted police and launched an appeal to find her daughter, telling reporters she didn’t know if the men had taken her hostage or if she was scared and hiding.
She told CBS the footage showed the girl in various stages of undress with a group of males. Elkins said her daughter looked scared and the men or boys were being abusive toward her.
‘I saw her face and the look on her face was just pure fear. And I, I just want my daughter home,’ she said.
The footage was removed from Facebook after police contacted the social media website.
Detectives are now trying to track down the owner of the Facebook page and the others in the video.
The girl is being interviewed by detectives who are treating the case as a sexual assault.
Her mother said she had gone missing once before but she was found later that day in a nearby park.